Wednesday, December 7, 2016

JAZZ IS BACK!

I recently attended a dance convention to continue my education, and support a wonderful dancer with whom I have had the honor and privilege to watch grow up and who was there teaching his own classes and working as an assistant. While I was there, I decided to enjoy the two evenings of competition. I was beyond thrilled to see the return of jazz! In the midst of beautiful lyrical, and moving contemporary, there it was....traditional jazz. Not contemporary in the jazz category but JAZZ! Real jazz! There were even some tap and musical theater numbers in the mix. It was so refreshing! I appreciate all forms of dance and not only was it nice to entertained by all of these performances, it was wonderful to see different dance forms recognized in the awards ceremony.
The final class I attended was very informative. The class was called, "The Judges's Perspective". Personally, it was good change of pace, because I am usually the one doing the talking about judging. Having the opportunity to hear fellow educators, I greatly admire, talk about their views was nothing short of amazing. They reinforced some things to me, gave me some ideas, and also reassured me of what is in my heart and mind. Their thoughts on the style subject just so happened to match mine. JAZZ IS BACK! They want to see a variety dance forms compete too!
For years, I have heard judges say things such as, "Oh, we have 10 solid hours of lyrical and contemporary," yet many teachers who are also judges are just as guilty as others who saturate these two categories without competing other styles, such as true jazz. Knowing how they feel as adjudicators when they have to "sit through hours" of these two categories, has always baffled me. Now don't get me wrong. I absolutely love lyrical and contemporary. Over the past few years though, it has seemed like there has been tap and some musical theater but very little jazz. It is delightful to see the trend begin to change and see the return of straight jazz! The change of pace is needed and desired. When a variety of styles are showcased, the competition event itself has a better flow, and the day stays interesting for all. I personally have always appreciated a wide range of music and styles. Creative ideas, different takes and plays on music are very entertaining and valued.
Two summers ago, I was talking to a well known West Coast teacher who said, "I need an old school jazz teacher. My students can do amazing turns and tricks but can't pas de bourree." I knew then and there, the jazz trend was on it's way back. I hoped I wasn't wrong, as I have waited on this to pendulum to swing once again for quite some time.  It appears that IS happening. Once I saw jazz compete and place at a predominantly contemporary convention/competition, and heard two other educators say these words, "Jazz is back" in the Judges' Perspective class, I knew it was "game on". My instincts were right!
I encourage everyone to incorporate diversity into your competition selections to keep the weekend fresh, and most importantly to keep your students growing. Giving dancers the opportunity to perform a variety of dance forms only makes them more adaptable and well rounded. It's a win-win for everyone!
Overall, I would say there has been some jazz at competitions, but not much. It's wonderful to see upbeat, fun, and energizing numbers during dance competitions! JAZZ IS MAKING A COMEBACK and that's fantastic! For me in my classes, my choreography, and my heart, it never left. I'm excited for the future, and eager to see what "trends" are in store for the next few years!
Dance hard. Dance smart.
You can read more from Meredith on the Dancer's Toolbox app under Dancer's Dish! The app is free and available in the App Store!
FOLLOW MEREDITH ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
Instagram: competitiveedgebymeredith
Facebook:Meredith Pennington
Facebook: The Competitive Edge by Meredith
Twitter: @the_comp_edge

No comments:

Post a Comment